Why?

Instead of keeping my 5:00 a.m. racing brain's thoughts to myself I decided to share with you what goes on in my head. This will usually involve the topics of photography, music, or just random observations about life in general. Thanks for reading/listening/sharing.

Paul

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My NYC Book

New York City Moments

Just hearing or seeing the words "New York City" can quickly conjure up pictures in our head of iconic buildings, masses of people, seas of taxis, 9/11, the Statue of Liberty, or other memories we may have. The scenes in this book are smaller moments, as people go about their lives in the subway, in the parks, and in the streets of Brooklyn and Manhattan. These images capture the feeling and appreciation of being alive through human interactions, quiet gestures, and simple pleasures as part of daily routines.

This book is a culmination of 3 trips in 2008, 2010, and 2011 to New York City to create images of people in their everyday lives. There are scenes from Bryant Park, Prospect Park, Canal Street, the F line, Cobble Hill, Chelsea, and other locales. All of these locations provided fascinating people as the subject matter for this project.

I am a photographer based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. My goal is to show people as they are, just being themselves, relating to each other or their environment. "The poetry of human encounters on the street" is how one writer put it when discussing Henri Cartier-Bresson's work. That is a beautiful description and one that serves as my inspiration.

Enjoy the images!

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment